Most of these are obvious differences. Even if I had simply moved from the Washington DC area to the Sacramento, CA area, these would almost all be different. Except for the last one. Sales.
SALES.
If you have lived overseas, you know what I mean. They simply don't exist! Well...they do but on a highly modified level. In both Cyprus and Israel a "sale" simply meant a general discount taken off at the store once a year, with some "clearance" (40% off MAX) thrown in for good measure. That's right, sales just one time a year.
"Hmmm...", I can hear you say. "That sure seems different." And you are completely right. It took a bit to get used to, but since I have visited the USA every year for the last eleven years, I never felt entirely deprived. After all, 'No Sales'='No Spending', which on a very limited budget came in handy. Delayed gratification. Not a bad thing.
What is has meant, however, is that those four weeks in America every year have been filled with instant gratification. Okay great, a sale! This is what I need, I should just get it now, otherwise I'll have to wait an entire year to get it 1)at a reasonable price 2)good quality and 3)in an appropriate size/style/level of modesty/etc...
Living in America demands a shift in my thinking. There is no need to "GET IT ALL NOW!!!" because more likely than not, tomorrow will have an even better deal for less money, better quality and an even more gorgeous color! It's an incredible thing to always know that something better is just around the corner, so I can't really miss out.
Or can I...
The very beautiful and secure feeling by knowing that I almost can't miss out is in opposition to all that I have lived for more than the last decade. The very strength of America has been a weakness in me.
Sieze the day! Carpe diem!
So quick to jump first and ask questions later (which seems very uncharacteristic for me I know) I have been unwilling to wait things out in patience and depth of silence, knowing with certainty that the best is yet to come.
Sigh.
I will add this to the list of things that I am learning in America.
Who ever said the education system here isn't worth a hill of beans forgot to take Him into account.
No comments:
Post a Comment